Tuesday, April 24, 2007

NEW CANADIAN WORK

Since arriving back in Canada in late March, I have been busy preparing for a number of Ontario shows, including those at Left Side Gallery (Flesherton), Loft Gallery (Thornbury), EQ Gallery (Burlington), as well as Gypsy Creek’s next Art By The Falls on May 19 and 20.

I am currently working on a series of 30 inch square acrylic paintings, some of which should be ready for the Art By The Falls show. They feature a darker palette that I have typically used in the past. In addition, the themes are somewhat darker, perhaps reflecting current social concerns and the tragic nature of the human condition, as opposed to my focus on the natural environment over the past couple of years. I’ve included an example to the left, entitled (as the words directly painted on the canvas attest to) “Monk or Soldier”.


I will also have some pieces from a series of oil paintings I completed in late 2006. In contrast to the more recent acrylic work, the former utilized a much lighter palette and continued my exploration of natural themes. To the left is a 24 inch square oil painting entitled simply “Cormorant”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home